Thursday afternoons are generally regarded as "workshop time."
Each month the second Thursday afternoon is dedicated to a procedural skill. We utilize specialists from the community to teach us the skills we family medicine experts can practice in our own clinics on a day to day basis. Examples include:
- Dilation and Curettage
- Nexplanon placement and removal
- IUD placement and removal
- Lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, paracentesis.
- Basic and advanced skin closures (aka plastics for family docs)
- Joint injections
- Central lines and venous access
We find ourselves poking chest tubes into racks of ribs, pretending breakfast sausages need their tips snipped, and draining all sorts of fluid out of all sorts of balloons. Generally speaking, it is a great, messy, and fundamentally irreplaceable time.