Cascades East has built an amazing community of support for its residents, and I feel lucky to have been a part of that community for the last three years. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in rural, full-spectrum family medicine who is also hoping to learn from and among a great group of people.

Helen Carlson, DO '16

OHSU's Campus for Rural Health

Klamath Falls represents one of OHSU's commitments to rural healthcare.  With greater than 60% of our graduates practicing in communities with populations of 10,000 or less, we are proud of our graduate outcomes and the impact on the health of rural communities across Oregon and beyond.  We serve as the Academic Headquarters for the Campus for Rural Health and rural experiences for OHSU's health professional schools.  Through the Rural Campus students rotate and cooperate inter-professionally in our rural environment, thus exposing them to the vibrant scope of practice and community available only to those who wish to practice off the beaten trail.   

Stewart Decker, Crater Lake

Stewart Decker, Crater Lake

South Central Oregon

Oregon encompasses 97,000 square miles and has a population of 2.9 million. While over 70 percent of these people live in a narrow strip in the western part of the state, the remaining 30 percent live in rural, often very remote areas with limited access to medical care. Klamath Falls is culturally and economically linked to these small rural communities in Oregon.  We serve a 10,000 square-mile area in south central Oregon and northern California which has a catchment population of more than 80,000 people.

Anna Olson from Collier Glacier

Anna Olson from Collier Glacier

Frontier Medicine

In addition, the residency program has established close ties with four of these small communities: Burns, Lakeview, John Day and Enterprise. Our residents spend a five-week required rotation in one of those communities so that they can gain experience in working side-by-side with successful, confident role models in rural health care delivery.

Leslie McCallister, John Day

Leslie McCallister, John Day